The Factory is a six storey red brick building that is located in one of the most sought after areas in Uptown Saint John. Located on the corner of Canterbury and Duke St, the building is recognized as a historic place because it reflects the industrial and commercial growth developments of Saint John in the 20th century.
Today, the building is home to many of the greatest and most creative people in Saint John and New Brunswick. From artists to art gallery to information technology to social media, this building has become a breeding ground for ideas, creativity and innovation. A definite place to be for anyone aspiring to take it to the next level!
Built in 1912 for the Canadian Ames-Holden-McCready Footwear Company, the building is a significant example of the mill construction style, a system which provided an improved level of protection against fire due to the thickness of the wood used in construction. This fact was recognized by insurance companies of that time. The company used the building for general offices and a warehouse. The ground floor was for office space and each floor of the building housed one of the various brands of footwear manufactured by the company.
The building was later used as an Eaton’s Department Store from 1939 to 1957. Eaton’s, one of Canada’s most popular stores through the first half of the 20th century, was a household name. Unemployment Insurance of Canada offices were subsequently located in the building, followed by regional offices of the Canada Post Corporation.